Here's a better picture of the top which is actually 3 pieces of 2x6 T&G pine glued together. I used a can of stain as a pattern to form the radius for the 2 front corners. Next I used my router to round over the edges.
This picture shows the raised panel door a little bit better as well as the joinery. I used my biscuit jointer to hold every the door rails & stiles in place. I glued all joints and clamped them overnight. The white knob looking thing is actually the magnet that is required to activate the latch allowing the doors to open. Again I used my router with a chamfer bit to create a softer edge around each door.
I chose blue pine for this project because of it's interesting color. I believe it's caused by a microscopic fungus in the wood but does not cause any structual damage. Also 1x12 pine is very inexpensive down here and easy to work with.
The doors were hung with European style hidden hinges which I like to use because they are strong and also fully adjustable making installation easier.
Lastly here's a picture of the inside which is backed with some leftover T&G pine paneling that I had from a previous project. Thanks for looking and for being interested in this project. Stay tuned for a pair of bookshelf/cabinets to be mounted flush into our bedroom wall. After that hopefully I'll be constructing a 7ft water wheel for our front yard. Take care.Dave
Thanks Dave. I appreciate seeing the fine joints. I don't have the technology to get joints that close.
ReplyDeleteHi Dave, looks like you did a really nice job.You are really talented with the detail work. Kath
ReplyDelete