Monday, January 25, 2010

Bookshelf Project for Jason


It always feels good to complete a project and this one was no exception! A couple of months ago Laurie asked me to build a bookshelf for Jason's room. Seems that too many books and toys were too inaccessible because they were too high up on a wall shelf. This project would have to not only be strong but would also require doors to protect its contents from curious hands. I started out with the top which was made out of 2 in. pine...strong enough for an average adult to stand on. The shelves themselves were dadoed into the sides for extra stability. Thanks to Marv for his help in squaring the whole thing up and gluing!

Anyway after mounting the top I began to think about how I wanted the doors to look. I had researched manufacturing a raised panel door with a table saw and I wanted to give that a try. Often I use a woodworking project for an excuse to tackle some new building technique that interests me. So this is was my first effort at this type of door and I must say that I am pleased with the outcome! Some log handles helped to match this piece to the rest of Jason's furniture. The filler in the middle with the tree cutouts also contributes to his "woodsy" theme. After mounting the hinges and hanging the doors I installed some cool safety latches which require a magnet to release the latch allowing it to open. No more torn up books as long as everyone remembers to keep the doors shut when not in use!

Here you can see the cabinet in its final resting place. Now Jason has a wider platform to stand on instead of the window sill when he's looking out his window. (He's definitely a climber!) More importantly his care providers and his parents have a secure (screwed to the wall)cabinet to store learning aids that should get used even more now!

2 comments:

  1. That is pretty cool! I'd like to have seen a few closer pictures of some of the joints and the top.

    ReplyDelete