
If I ever go through another home building project I will be more careful to make sure there is plenty of storage space. When I had our house built back in '96 I was single and really didn't see how I could ever fill the thing up. Unfortunately that is know longer the case and several months ago I began doing some prospecting to see if I could could find any more space to fill. I had a couple of walls in mind in our upstairs bedroom and one day Laurie agreed to let me do some surgery to see if my idea was possible. I checked for studs and wiring with my stud finder and then carefully began to cut with my drywall saw. So far so good. Soon I had an opening that with some work I could install a bookshelf cabinet that would accomidate 3 rows of books. Laurie had a matching wall on her side that would work as well.


The first step after framing in the 2 openings and adding extra insulation was to build 2 matching book shelves followed by 2 sets of raised panel doors. We also purchased some beautiful aromatic cedar to use for the backing of each cabinet. After test fitting everything I applied some honey pine stain and mounted them flush into the wall.


Here's a couple of pictures showing the finished product all trimmed out. My book collection is pretty modest so every one I own can fit in my cabinet along with a few other odds n ends. We've actually got a couple of other walls like this in our bedroom so there may be another similar project or 2 in the future.
Wow Dave! I'm always impressed with your talented craftsmanship! I'm sure Laurie is loving those beautiful bookshelves. It's so nice to see what you've been doing with all of these great pictures of your family. Thanks so much! I really enjoyed getting caught up with your lives, Juliana:)
ReplyDelete