Monday, November 30, 2009

Christmas Lights in Brookings Azalea Park

Yesterday as promised mom and dad took Jason and I to see the Christmas lights in Brookings. I think it's becoming a tradition. Anyway I got to wear my new dress and sparkly shoes and boy did I get a lot of attention.

There were lots of pretty lights although our camera just didn't do them justice.

Dad forgot to smile in this picture but he really did have a good time too! One thing that I've never seen before that we saw last night was a "living statue" of two guys playing chess. If they got a donation they would both move robotically taking turns moving their chess pieces. Otherwise they were completely still and mean completely still. Boy was I surprised when they both got up and walked away to take a short break! Oh by the way the glasses I'm wearing were to refract the lights and make them look even more interesting.

Boy were we ever in for a surprise near the end of our light tour! We met and visited with a real celebrity who just happens to live in Brookings.
No it wasn't Santa! He was sitting inside a small chapel that was built inside Azalea Park in honor of his late wife.

His name is Elmo Williams. Who's that you ask? Let me tell what I learned. Toward the end of our conversation my dad mentioned that we were going to Disneyland next week. Mr Williams told us that he knew Walt Disney and was there the day the park opened back in 1955. He also told us that he designed the "Jungle Cruise" ride at Walt's request. But wait there's more! He was also film editor for several well known films including "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea". He is a very nice man and even at age 96 he held me up so that my dad could take both of our pictures. He won an Academy Award For Editing for his work on "High Noon". You can check out his other accomplishments by entering his name on google.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment